I have started sending out a 'casting kit' to theatre groups, drama courses and actors societies. (will put up in next post)
we updated the character biographies of the characters in fracture to give the auditionees (and scriptwriter) a more thorough understanding of what we are looking for, including links to film actors performances that we believe are fine examples of the acting style and character we want.
I sent a script feedback to our scriptwriter Adam, with input from me and andrew, which will change the script quite substantially for the next draft: see below
Fracture script feedback
PROS
We very much like the Tarot card references you’ve worked into the script enough notice subtle enough not to be slapping the audience in the face with it. I like the idea of him being found with only the tarot cards.
The corridor scene is quick, to the point and introduces the fact that Kal is an unusual case. Combined with the intro titles (which will introduce that Alice is missing, the police are looking for her, as well as the themes of the film) the audience can quickly get into the characters tales without elongated back-story set-up.
The Intro to kal with Dr luminal & Dt. Kane works really well, I think the audience will swiftly assert that he’s a strange case.
The fools story fits with the student party scene and his smart-Alec dialogue works well.
The line “she walked by loud enough to be heard, beautiful enough to be seen” Is a brilliant line don’t know if it fits with the hermit or not, but I would love this line to survive till the next draft.
CONS
One character needs dropping
We were thinking Justice can be gotten rid of as he doesn’t have much of a strong story. After Andrew pitched to Rob and peter, apparently they were adamant in trying to get us to cut another character but I think we can manage just losing the one. What do you think?
The stories aren’t all completely inter-related – shouldn’t be based around one drink & drug- fuelled house party
Were worried the setting & theme of the house party mixed with drug overdosing may make it come across as a kind of part animated ‘skins’ teen drama.
The fool and the lover work good as an interlinking pairing but the other characters stories shouldn’t all link up perfectly like a complete jigsaw. They are stories that are all individual possibilities of what has happened to Alice. E.g. one tale persuades she’s been kidnapped, one persuades she’s dead, one persuades she’s ran away etc. the audience should be left to decide which story they believe is closest to the truth.
The hermits tale
We like the shark boy/ bearded lady idea, and we encourage you to go overboard (dialogue, visual & story wise) with the hermit. Maybe use more of this carnival influence as the hermits story or something equally out there? So we can really go for it with the animation. We also picture the hermit as less coherent in his speech.
The reverends tale
We like the biblical references & his stubborn, religious, over-zealousness. However we don’t think the reverend should appear at the house party. We like the idea of the confessional tone between him and Alice, and I don’t see why she cant mention the party seen in the fools tale. Andrew mentioned an idea of possibly the reverend telling a moral tale akin to an Aesop’s fable type story using Alice, in his segment - I’m not sure how that would work but thought id mention it.
don’t worry about bizarre location or complicated actions in a scene - because of the stories being animated there’s no limit to what can appear on screen/in script. don’t worry about anything in the characters stories being dramatic as this will work well with animation.
I also completed a session with Yvonne Boyle on creating prosthetic moulding. I can now create prosthetic casts using dental alginate and RTU Rubber. I will publish a more detailed post with photos about this session.
I had trouble arranging the green screen shoot due to administrative issues over allowing students to book the room. I will try and find a way around this and if not will shoot the greenscreen in the TV studio
No comments:
Post a Comment